Sunday, September 29, 2013

a good day for a barbecue


well - maybe not - it's cold and rainy
but barbecuing altoids tins doesn't require perfect weather
(don't do this indoors in your home oven due to paint fumes)

how I did it:
clean your tins
remove lids if you want to
wrap tins in a foil packet - loosely packed but sealed shut
barbecue on high (about 475 degrees) for about 15 minutes
let cool
unwrap (do your unwrapping outdoors due to the captured paint fumes in the packet)



it's an imperfect process with unpredictable results
some of these I will be bbq'ing a second time
I LOVE the tin on the left in the above picture - and have no idea why it came out so great
anyway - have fun with this - isn't that the whole point of a barbecue?

12 comments:

Kim Mailhot said...

I have done them in the wood stove. The burned effect is so cool, isn't it? You have some goodies there!

amy of studio four corners said...

I've been leaving my tins outside to rust in the "rusting area" but it takes forever to get the right patina...I need to fire up the grill one more time before we put it to rest for the season - thanks for the inspiration!

Elizabeth said...

Wack a doodle!

DAWN said...

Fantastic, I will be trying this (I just need more altoids, hahaha)
~Dawn

Neesie said...

Well that's the first time I've heard of this kind of barbie Kim,
I too think that tin on the left is spectacular ;D
Have a fun packed week and thanks for the inspiration.
xoxo

~*~Patty S said...

ummm tin barbecue looks and sounds just perfect to me!
oxo

Lisa Graham said...

Those turned out beautiful and so interesting! Wow.

I linked to your photo transfer tutorial today (finally). Thank you for sharing that again, Kim. I love visiting your blog and seeing all the great things you do.

Have a great week!

Maneki said...

Cool! This looks really neat.

Annie Cholewa said...

That tin on the left really is fab ... I wonder if there was something different about the paint. Great project Kimmie :)

Anonymous said...

Marvelous crusty, rusty goodness. xox

Yvonne said...

Love the results! I used to take marbles and put them in a dry pan until they got hot and had cracks inside them. Made them very pretty.

Halle said...

They look great! I still haven't tried doing this. Some day...