Monday, March 18, 2013

how I stitch teabag paper ...

... it's not as fragile as you might think

*
first of all: 
no knots
knots are too bulky and sometimes pull right through
I lock the first stitch in with a single backstitch and leave a bit of a tail


secondly:
use a running stitch 
if you punch in and out, stitch by stitch, you are more like to get tears
a running stitch keeps the paper more stable

third:
lock in your last stitch with a single backstitch
do this, whether you are done and will be cutting the thread,
or as in these hexagons, if you are turning a corner and need added strength 

 finger pressing is all that is needed for these somewhat fragile seams


so this is the back:


and this is the front after quilting:

there isn't much to tell about the quilting
except: a running stitch is best
also: you will find that the more stitching you do (as in sashiko)
the stronger it all becomes

I will show more pictures as I fill this in with sashiko type stitching

Sashiko: a form of decorative and functional stitching from Japan. 
Used in mending and reinforcing worn fabric or areas of fabric destined for wear (and tear).  
Most frequently used is white thread on indigo fabric.


12 comments:

Gayle Price said...

This is so, so very beautiful. Soft, delicate, and aged; I really want to touch it. Thank you for sharing your technique, it looks and sounds easy, but I'm sure it's not. I'm so looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful project. xx

Connie said...

Your stitches are all so perfect . . I don't think I could even come close . . .
my stitches would be laughable, LOL
Thanks for sharing.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Halle said...

I was thinking you were piecing each hexagon straight to the paper backing...but now I see what you are doing a little more clearly.
Between you and Patty, I'm almost to the point of saving my tea bags...almost. :)

Katie said...

So pretty!

ps. Send me your address and I will pop a MOO card in the mail to you for sure!

sukipoet said...

thank you for these instructions. i have saved up a bit of tea bag paper. maybe will try this. it is beautiful and might be calming.

Becca said...

This is SO beautiful Kim! Thank you for the tutorial on how to hand stitch these together. I like to stitch by hand, so I might have to try this. You might remember I embroidered on tea bags a while back and I actually sewed around the edges with my machine. I think I'll try the hand stitching next time. Check out that post if you'd like. http://www.patinamoon.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-rainy-day-project.html#.UUe1W6VlqVo

Yvonne said...

Great tutorial Kimmie. Thanks. I have a feeling the shashiko stitches will really set it off well. Can't wait to see it finished.

Ms. said...

the patience knocks me out...the finished product astounds me. These instructions are thorough and clear, not to mention generous. Can't wait to see the Sashiko. My own teabags, frequently twice used, are sometimes such a mess...I can't imagine how they'd dry, and how I'd dismantle them without destroying them. Maybe you will show us how you do it. Thanks for dropping in on my blog and commenting too.

Anonymous said...

You make it seem so simple Kim. I can imagine tearing it to shreds. This will really be beautiful. Can't wait to see it all finished. xox

Jill said...

I need to google sashiko to see this stitch. I assume when you say tea papers that you are taking apart tea bags after you use them. Is that right? Very small pieces for sure.

Linda Vincent said...

How lovely! I am intrigued to see this with sashiko stitching......
XX

Annie Cholewa said...

I love sashiko ... I think I need to get me some teabag paper!

Thank you for this post Kimmie :D