Thursday, October 8, 2009

another fire annual

.... in THIS earlier post and THIS earlier post you can see and read about the California Fire Poppy and the miraculous event of particular wildflowers thriving in a fire scarred chaparral area.
Here is another such flower:
Phacelia brachyloba.

Someone wondered about the paper I use ....
.... it's a watercolor journal that was a gift from my Dad.
The journal paper is handmade 100% cotton rag and made in India.
It's quite thick and heavily textured.
You have to be careful because it doesn't tolerate "scrubbing" too well ....
.... so I'm learning to live with any mistakes I've made and not try to fix them.
Also, any pencil marks are not very easily erased because of that same problem.
It's a good paper to have in a journal.
Erasing and scrubbing are counterproductive to journaling.

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments on this particular series.
The sense of community in bloggerland is just exactly what I love about it.
It's the next best thing to being back in art class again :)

8 comments:

ELK said...

yes i like this one as well...have you ever made paper? as far a blogland..I could not agree more, so supportive and encouraging indeed.

*jean* said...

kimmie, your watercolors are really fantastic...are you going to frame them up? they'd make beautiful cards too...moo postcards too, moo cards show texture like the paper you've used here...i could see a set of little moos with these and your orca pieces...beautiful

ooglebloops said...

I agree with Jean - these would make a nice card series............

Anonymous said...

Wonderful watercolours Kimmie. Hope to see more!
Mrs Noofy

Linda Vincent said...

Your watercolour paintings are delightful Kimmie...the textured paper really enhances them.
:-)

nancy neva gagliano said...

....well, i must say i really appreciate your support,too, kimmie...checking in on me from time to time. thank you. your posts always amaze me: painting, tin work, knitting, ... a long list which also includes your writing/comments about issues, like the tin work done in 3rd world countries and sold here for such profits. thoughtful. enjoy the weekend and your family and your many talents.

Jane said...

I'm with Jean. This would make a beautiful card. ;-)
http://us.moo.com/en/

Anonymous said...

Kimmie,
I just wanted to let you know how much this series has meant to me. This past year has been a difficult one with much pruning by fire. This last week I've been pretty discouraged by some of the casualties. But your art has reminded me to look for the beautiful growth amid the ashes. It's been such a source of encouragement to be reminded that the destruction had to happen for the flowers to grow again. Every time I have had a moment of discouragement I just come back here and take a look.

Thank you so much for being faithful in your art.
Tammy