Friday, January 9, 2009

Today



















Linda and Rosie's Art Adventure challenge this week is such a great idea! It's to choose a word for the upcoming year and make it into a sign. They're calling it: "Give Me a Sign!"  For my sign, I thought of the word "today." Sometimes I forget that's all I've got :) .... I waste a lot of time and energy worrying or just thinking too much about "tomorrow," and fretting, regretting or missing "yesterday." Today is a gift and I want to treasure it. This sign will be a small reminder to me - a signpost.

I used gold foil to make this. After my embossing work, I rubbed green acrylic paint over it. When the paint was dry, I gently rubbed it with a cloth to reveal the raised parts of the metal. It gives it a sort of faux copper patina. The text is stamped on the silver reverse side of a scrap of the gold (with Staz-on ink) and I curled the ends into a tube to show the gold side. I ran wire through the curl and that's how I attached the silver text scrap to the main piece. The wire runs through the curl and into pierced holes and folds over in the back.












22 comments:

Odd Chick said...

I think your sign is elegant and such a timely word to remember that today is all we have and to be present - I would have never guessed the process

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration.

Jane said...

Wonderful sign, Kimmie. I could do with a reminder like that too!

Sandy said...

STUNNING !!!!
Fantastic work.

Virginia said...

Beautiful sign Kimmie..

Chriss Rollins said...

A great word...many of us forget to live for today and not to worry about tomorrow.
love your embossing too the whole piece is brilliant.

chriss x

Rosie said...

Such an important word to remember - I worry too much about tomorrow as well! Beautiful metalwork and I love the gold and green. Thanks so much for joining in our challenge.
Love
Rosie ABAA

Linda Vincent said...

Fabulous Kimmie - I love it. Great work with the metal effects and I like the way you fixed the word down. Good word choice as well - thank you for inspiring us.
Love
Linda xxx

Gillian .... said...

wonderful sign Kimmie and such a poignant word to many of us, we need to live for today. Love the patina effect and the embossing.

Creatively Lisa said...

I love your sign and the message behind it. Great job!

Jendy said...

Your sign is BEAUTIFUL! I love it.

Anonymous said...

It's perfect!!! Today, and what we do with it, is what matters most! And,that is a beautiful reminder!!!

*jean* said...

Your sign is really wonderful and a great reminder to all of us that today is what we have and what matters...

nancy said...

What a beautiful presentation! I nearly used "Today" but took it a step further for my own inspiration!
Nancy

sharon said...

How true your words are. We must all live for today. I also love your inchies. Must dabble in them myself one day!

Anonymous said...

What a great word and a great design. Just love the detail. Like you I spend far too much timne worrying about what happened yesterday and what might happen tomorrow - today is the only real important time. Take care ...

Minxy said...

Great piece, i'm just getting into metal and i love the idea to use paint to get the great look you've achieved, i shall be trying that in future :O)

Jaqi said...

This is stunning, and what a great word, too many of us and I am guilty of this myself , worry about tomorrow instead of enjoying today. Thanks for sharing its lovely, Jaqi

GlitteryKatie said...

Gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.